Not content with only providing medical services to the people of this remote state of India, and with a view to provide more services to the tribal population of the state, the hospital started a School of Nursing in the year 1985 for training tribal as well as non tribal girls of Arunachal Pradesh.
The school offers a three and half years Diploma Course in General nursing and Midwifery. The School was accorded recognition and was affiliated to the Assam Council for Nurses, Midwives, and Health Visitors in the year 1987. It is also registered under the Indian Nursing Council. It is the only school which offers GNM course in the entire State. Twenty students are admitted in each batch. Till now 335 students have successfully passed out from this school.
The first batch of students passed out in the year 1989. The school situated in a separate and independent campus of its own consists of Class Rooms, Demonstration Rooms, Office, Nutrition Laboratory, Recreation Room, prayer Hall Visitors Room and hostels for trainee students. A number of nurses who passed out from the School are today holding very good assignments in many parts of the country as well as abroad.
Basic Principles of the school and its Aims and Objectives:
One of the main objectives of the Ramakrishna Mission Hospital School of Nursing is to train Nurses in an atmosphere worthy of India's traditions so that they can dedicate themselves to the 'Service of God in Man’.
The students are trained to consider this institution as their first home. They are expected to cultivate a deep sense of belonging to this institution. They should give their best to maintain the serene atmosphere of the hospital.
The objectives of the course offered by the School are
The Nurses after completing the course will be able to:
1. Demonstrate awareness of, and skills required in the Nursing process in the provision of Health Care and Nursing to patients. They will be competent to:
Assess the nursing needs of individuals, families and communities throughout life, from birth to death
Plan appropriate action to meet their needs through competent safe nursing care;
Take appropriate action to help people retain or sustain their best possible level of health in all its aspects.
Work with the other members of the health team and community in promotion of health, prevention of illness, restoration of health and rehabilitation.
Evaluate effectiveness of nursing and health care activities.
2. Apply relevant knowledge form humanities biological and behavioral sciences in carrying out health care and nursing activities and functions.
3. Show sensitivity and skill in human relationships and communication in her daily work.
4. Demonstrate skill in use of problem solving methods in nursing practice.
5. Gain knowledge of health resources in the community and the country.
6. Demonstrate leadership skills in working with the health team, community, and others in the provision of health care.
7. Demonstrate understanding of and commitment to professional organizations.
8. Demonstrate awareness of the necessity of belonging to professional organizations.
9. Demonstrate ability in self-awareness, self-evaluation in personal and professional life.
10. Promotion of health, precautions against illness, restoration of health and rehabilitation.